Septic workshop gives Lincoln residents chance for free service
By Bobbie Curd
Those who attend local workshops on septic systems could get a free service on their existing systems, or even a major break on repairs or replacements.
On Monday, March 16, a Lincoln County Septic Care workshop will be offered in the Family Life Center at Hustonville Baptist Church.
Lindsie Nicholas, watershed coordinator with Bluegrass Greensource, said the events are part of the Clarks Run and Hanging Fork watershed improvement program. Nicholas is working with Jason Stevens, environmental supervisor with the Boyle County Health Department, on the project, she said.
“We will have applications for those who attend a workshop and live in the Clarks Run or Hanging Fork watershed to apply for a free septic tank pumpout, or for an 80/20 cost-share grant for septic system repairs or replacements,” Nicholas said.
Nicholas said failing systems can require expensive repairs, as well as pose a serious health risk to the family and neighbors. “It can also have negative impacts on water quality,” she said. Leaking or failing systems deliver raw sewage into our watersheds, she explained, which endangers both people and livestock in the area, with increased E. coli bacteria inputs into waterways.
“There are many serious health issues that can occur from coming into contract with untreated septic waste,” she said, so proper maintenance is essential in keeping systems working efficiently, as well as preventing risks of costly failures.
The free workshops are offered to provide education on how to properly maintain them, protecting the value of homes and protecting the environment, Nicholas said.
A regular maintenance task of pumping out the system is recommended to be done every three to five years, and those who attend will be able to apply for funding assistance to get this done.
Also, cost-share grants are available, which will pay 80% of the repair or replacement cost; the homeowner is only responsible for the remaining 20%. They must live in the Clarks Run or Hanging Fork watershed areas.
Nicholas said the program is funded by a grant from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, through the Kentucky Division of Water, and focuses on the improvements of those two watersheds, which are part of the Dix River Watershed.
For more information or any questions, contact Nichols by emailing Lindsie@bggreensource.org or calling (859) 266-1572.
IF YOU GO
The Lincoln County Septic Care workshop will be 6-7:30 p.m. Monday, March 16 at Hustonville Baptist Church’s Family LIfe Center, 9959 Ky. 78 in Hustonville. Registration is encouraged but not required; for more information and to register, visit bggreensource.org/septic-care-workshops.
American Battlefield Trust News release The Kentucky Senate Standing Committee on Economic Development, Tourism, and Labor, has unanimously passed HB... read more