Threats at Lincoln County High School not ‘substantiated’

Published 2:21 pm Thursday, February 22, 2018

Extra police presence on Friday

By Kendra Peek

The Advocate-Messenger

Extra law enforcement was visible at the Lincoln County High School on Friday after a threat was made against students.

“We got word that a statement had been made (Thursday) evening,” said Lincoln County Superintendent Mike Rowe on Friday.

The Stanford Police Department was contacted, he said, and was investigating the incident.

Rowe said Stanford officers and Kentucky State Police were at the school all day and attended the basketball games Friday night against Casey County.

A release from the Stanford Police Department on Friday afternoon stated, “Multiple students have been interviewed in reference to this threat,” but none had been charged.

“No threat has been substantiated. We are taking extra precautions by having heavier police presence at the campus.”

WKYT reported that three students had been disciplined. Middleton confirmed via phone that his department spoke to the three students.

Rowe said, “all students involved will be disciplined according to the Lincoln County Schools student handbook,” but that he wasn’t sure where the number three specifically came from.

“The investigation is ongoing,” Rowe said.

The release also refers to rumors on social media regarding weapons or a lockdown at the school.

“These are not facts as no firearms have been found nor (is any) student suspected to have one. Classes have been altered a bit to provide extra security and a pep rally scheduled for this afternoon has been canceled by the school,” it said.

Middleton said in the release that the department was taking the threat “very seriously.”

“While this threat is alarming and we are treating it as such, based upon the findings of the investigation so far, we do not feel any student is in any imminent danger.”