Overdose death leads to manslaughter arrest

Published 5:45 pm Monday, July 25, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...



STANFORD – A man was arrested for allegedly providing the narcotics that led to one man’s death, according to an arrest warrant.

Email newsletter signup

Kevin Granville, 63, of Stanford, was arrested July 16 by Stanford Police Officer Andy Ferguson.

Kevin Granville

According to the arrest warrant, Lincoln County Sheriff’s K9 Sgt. Michael Mullins was dispatched at about 6:15 p.m. to an apartment on U.S. 27 North on Dec. 30, 2021 in reference to a deceased male.

Chris Whitis, 44, was pronounced dead by the Lincoln County Coroner.

According to Whitis’ family, Granville was known to visit the residence frequently and suspected of providing drugs to Whitis.

“The victim’s wife stated that she has known him to use meth, cocaine and pills,” the arrest warrant states.

Granville was known to the wife as “Chronic.”

On the evening of his death at approximately 4:33 p.m., Whitis allegedly sent a message to Granville asking if he had a “northern” and if he had change for $100.

Mullins then met with Granville and conducted a recorded interview, during which Granville admitted to being at the residence with the victim during that time frame.

“He denied providing any drugs to the victim,” the arrest warrant states. “Above stated that he smoked weed with the victim when he was there.”

After reviewing the toxicology report, Sgt. Mullins attempted to contact Granville for a follow up interview. Granville was located during a traffic stop.

He allegedly admitted to providing a “pill” to the victim on Dec. 30.

“He stated that he did not smoke weed with the victim, he was only at the residence for approximately 5 minutes,” the warrant states. “Above stated that ‘it feels better to get this off of his chest.’”

The toxicology report indicated that Whitis had Hydrocodone in his system at the time of his death and he was not prescribed to any opiates per a KASPHER report.

“The above provided or transferred a ‘pill’ to the victim,” the warrant states. “As a result the victim suffered an accidental overdose and ultimately died.”

Granville remains lodged in the Pulaski County Detention Center on one charge of second-degree manslaughter.