Multiple agencies work to arrest man who escaped police custody

Published 8:11 am Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

A man who allegedly escaped custody of the Lancaster Police Department on March 4 was taken into custody after leading multiple law enforcement agencies on a chase for several days.

Lincoln County Sheriff Curt Folger said Daniel R. Griffin, 30, was arrested by Kentucky State Police on March 10 at a residence on Harris Creek Road, in the western part of Lincoln County.

Folger said multiple agencies were involved in the search for Griffin over several days.

Email newsletter signup

“It started as an escape from Lancaster PD,” Folger said. “They searched for him for a day or so and then Rockcastle County and

Lancaster Police and the state police were up in the Rockcastle/Broughtontown area. They made contact, got in a pursuit, Rockcastle (County Sheriff’s Office) lost him.”

Folger said Lincoln County Sheriff’s Deputies and other law enforcement agencies continued to search for Griffin.

“We searched and searched and he kind of switched vehicles and had a little help here and there…” Folger said. “He was located on Harris Creek in western Lincoln County at a home over there and was taken into custody.”

Folger said Kentucky State Police from Post 11 and Post 7 made the arrest and LCSO was there to assist.

According to a Facebook post made by the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office, Griffin was wanted by multiple agencies on several charges including second-degree escape, fleeing or evading police in a vehicle and on foot, and other unknown charges out of Tennessee.

Griffin was arrested March 10 and booked into the Lincoln County Regional Jail. Kentucky State Police charged him with resisting arrest.

An injury to Griffin’s eye was visible in his mug shot, which triggered the public to ask questions about the nature of the arrest on some of the agencies’ Facebook pages.

“The only thing I can tell you is he was charged with resisting arrest and he wouldn’t comply as far as when they did find him,” Folger said. “He wouldn’t bring his hands out from underneath him and he had made threats to law enforcement.”

Folger said this is the second time Griffin has been charged with escaping police custody.