Visit KDFWR at state fair
FRANKFORT, Ky. — Take a selfie with a bear at the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Resources’ Bear Wise Exhibit. See some critters. Meet “Kentucky Afield” Television Host Chad Miles. Check out the department’s colorful new prescribed burn truck and equipment. There’s a lot to do when you visit the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife booth at the Kentucky State Fair Aug. 15-25.
Follow the crowds to the Main Street area of the Exposition Center’s South Wing and look for the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife booth.
Once you’re there, here are some of the things you can see and do (all times listed are Eastern):
• Buy your fishing or hunting license.
• Complete the free range portion of a hunter education course at the indoor air-rifle range. Online pre-registration at fw.ky.gov is required.
• Ask a conservation officer or Kentucky Fish and Wildlife employee your questions about fish, wildlife or boating.
• On Friday, Aug. 16, join Kentucky Fish and Wildlife live with the Drew Deener radio show from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m., and ESPN Louisville Radio from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
• Kentucky Wild Day is Saturday, Aug. 17. Learn about Kentucky’s role in monarch butterfly conservation and how you can help during special presentations at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
• Meet Kentucky Afield Television Host Chad Miles from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 22.
• Help keep Kentucky Wild.
• See live animals on display every day, but be sure to stop by from noon to 3 p.m. Thursday, Aug 22, for Salato Wildlife Education Center Day.
• Spin the wheel for a chance to win a prize.
The Fish and Wildlife booth opens daily at 9 a.m. and closes at 9 p.m., with extended hours until 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. The popular air rifle range is open to all adults and older children for a small fee.
Those wishing to complete the range portion of their hunter education requirements may do so at the fair. Hunter education is open to anyone 9 or older, and is required of hunters born in 1975 or later. Certification requires successful completion of the classroom portion either online or at an instructor-led course prior to successfully completing the range portion.
Please visit the Kentucky State Fair website for admission and parking fees, gate hours, and other details.