Oct. 2016 Financial Aid Tip for Students: Tips for transferring between colleges

Published 12:08 pm Thursday, October 13, 2016

As the fall semester winds down, some college students may be thinking about transferring to another school. Some students may be finishing one degree and want to get a higher one. Others find the school they chose isn’t the best fit for them, or perhaps family circumstances changed.
The Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) offers these tips for making sure your transfer goes smoothly.
You should talk with the financial aid office at your current school to make sure you don’t owe anything or to find out if you get a refund. Also talk with the financial aid office at your new school to make sure you’ve done everything you need to get funding when you transfer.
Also, contact the registrar’s office at your new school to find out what credits and grades you earned at your current school will transfer.
If you have more questions about transferring, each college should have a contact person who can answer them. Students transferring from a public Kentucky two-year college to a public Kentucky university can find help at www.knowhow2transfer.org/.
KHEAA is the state agency that administers Kentucky’s student financial aid programs, including the Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship (KEES). Its sister agency, the Kentucky Higher Education Student Loan Corporation (KHESLC), offers Advantage Loans to help students and parents pay for college or to refinance student loans. For information on Advantage Loans, visit www.advantageeducationloan.com.
For more information, visit www.kheaa.com; write KHEAA, P.O. Box 798, Frankfort, KY 40602; or call 800-928-8926, ext. 6-7214.

Email newsletter signup