First graduating class of old Memorial High School holds reunion
Published 1:46 pm Friday, September 16, 2016
Memorial High School, located on Old U.S. Hwy. 27 at Kings Mountain in Lincoln County, opened its doors as a consolidated high school for much of the county in 1951. Thus, the Class of 1955 was the first class to complete four years of high school at MHS, which in turn gave way in 1974 to the current Lincoln County High School.
Twenty-five members of the Class of 1955 gathered at the Kentucky Depot Restaurant in Stanford on Saturday, Aug. 27, to renew old friendships while dining and listening to music from the fifties.
Music was provided by graduate Johnny Wilcop and wife, Marge, who also led the group in singing MHS’s “fight” song and God Bless America.
The mustang was MHS’s mascot, and green and white were the school colors. Centerpieces at most of the tables were mustangs appropriately sporting green and white satin blankets embroidered “1955” and “MHS”.
Glen Story, a 1955 graduate who served as the reunion’s emcee, became “auctioneer” when he put the mustangs up for auction to help offset reunion expenses. Also auctioned were one copy each of 1967 MHS graduate Lanny Hubbard’s two original sketches of the old high school
Each 1955 class member present received a 21-page booklet prepared by graduate Phyllis (Smallwood) Emerson. The booklet contained a brief summary of the lives of surviving 1955 schoolmates and had been mailed to graduates and classmates who were unable to attend the reunion.
A total of 45 attended the reunion: 17 graduates, eight classmates, four teachers, and 16 guests.
The teachers were Mrs. Agnes Mullins-Bacon, Ms. Leila Hammons, Mr. Shannon Hatter and guest Mr. Darrel Story.